Officials Reveal Details As Prince Phillip Spends 8th Day In The Hospital

Prince Philip is being treated for an ‘infection’ in hospital and will not be leaving for several more days, Buckingham Palace has said. 


Officials have released more details about the Duke of Edinburgh’s condition for the first time since he was first admitted to hospital a week ago. 

In a short statement, the palace said: ‘The Duke of Edinburgh remains at King Edward VII’s Hospital where he is receiving medical attention for an infection. ‘He is comfortable and responding to treatment but is not expected to leave hospital for several days.’ 

Philip was admitted to the hospital in London last Tuesday evening as a precautionary measure after feeling unwell, and walked into the building unaided.

At the time Buckingham Palace did not disclose the reason for the 99-year-old duke’s admission, but confirmed it was not related to coronavirus. 

His eldest son, Prince Charles, visited the duke briefly over the weekend, despite the hospital previously saying visitors would only be permitted in exceptional circumstances. 

Prince Edward today confirmed his father is feeling ‘a lot better’ and is ‘looking forward to getting out.’

The Earl of Wessex said on Sky News: ‘He’s a lot better, thank you very much indeed and he’s looking forward to getting out, which is the most positive thing so we keep our fingers crossed.’ 

Asked whether Philip was frustrated to be in hospital, Edward laughed and replied: ‘Just a bit. I think that gets to all of us, and then, you can only watch the clock so many times and the walls are only so interesting.’ 

He added: ‘We’ve had some brilliant and lovely messages from all sorts of people and we really appreciate that and so does he, I’ve been passing them on. 

It’s fantastic, thank you.’ Police officers have been stationed at the front door of the hospital during the duration of the duke’s stay while well-wishers have been leaving cards and balloons at the gates by the entrance.

Post a Comment

0 Comments